Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Trust only 1/3 of the results from Pscyhology, but 2/3 of the results from behavioral economics

Dan Ariely (psychologist and behavioral economist) was forced to retract a well-cited paper based on fraudulent data. Ariely, a frequent TED Talk speaker and a Wall Street Journal advice columnist, cited the study in lectures and in his New York Times bestseller The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone — Especially Ourselves. We have blogged about Ariely's work and want to warn readers that we may have retract the blog posts, pending the outcome of an internal investigation.  

Professor Ariely's problems are part of a larger "replication crisis." It began when the journal Science found that only 1/3 of the psychology experiments underlying the most cited papers in the field of psychology  could be replicated.  A bigger and more recent study finds much the same thing.  [Behavioral Economics does better than psychology, as 2/3 of the results can be replicated.]

Contributing to the crisis is what is called HARK, Hypothesis After Results Known.  Due to the pressure to publish statistically significant results, researchers do science backward.  They begin by looking for a statistically significant result (p hacking).  Then, they specify an hypothesis to explain it.  Now, good practice requires that researchers register hypotheses before testing them.  Note that a similar problem plagues non-experimental data as well (regression fishing).

We regularly blog about deviations from the rational actor paradigm, and include some of the more useful results in our textbook, notably loss aversion (losses hurt more than gains help), and hyperbolic discounting (overweighting the present).  To the extent that these findings cannot be replicated, we could be wrong.

For the sixth edition, we will do our best to determine whether these Behavioral Economics results can be trusted.  For now, place a 2/3 weight on them being right.  

6 comments:

  1. Dr Froeb,
    Very interesting blog post. I'm especially intrigued by whether the rational actor paradigm is something that a whole field of inquiry should base its assumptions on. I'm by no means an expert in this area, but have been reading a number of books on how real humans actually make decisions, and it would seem that the rational actor exists only in the economist's "lab" but is found rarely in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, but it is a useful tool, and it stands up to experimental and empirical (non-experimental) scrutiny much better than other models.

      Delete
  2. Top Secret Way To Win Lottery With The Help Of A Magic PRIEST Call +1(419)359-4367

    I saw testimonies online on how PRIEST OSAS helped a lot of people in winning huge amounts in the lottery, so I decided to contact him for winning numbers. I contacted this man and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among the winners. I won FOURTEEN MILLION,FIVE HUNDRED AND NINE THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($14,509,500) I have confirmed PRIEST OSAS is real and guaranteed. Now I am a living testimony of the good works of PRIEST OSAS, a gifted man with great powers, it is my secret but I decided to make the world known too. It might be a help to any one who is interested. My comment might look funny to you but it is the truth. And I promise you that it will not be funny when you win and share a testimony with others. This is a secret to winning the lottery so I advise you to do the same. It’s not everybody that is naturally lucky, if you have problems winning the lottery, the solution to win is PRIEST OSAS So contact him now for you to confirm my testimony.
    Email: Unsurpassed.solution@gmail.com
     Call or text him:+1(419)359-4367
     https://unsurpassedsolution.blogspot.com/

    http://unsurpassedsolutionhome.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST WAYS TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK AND RESTORED YOUR BROKEN MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP FROM SORROW TO HAPPINESS.

    Help me thank Dr Omokpo for helping me get my ex husband back to me and my family. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband left me some years ago for another woman and they both planned to get married. I am so surprised he just came back to me one cool afternoon on Saturday June, begging and crying for me to take him back and to forgive him for breaking up our marriage home and forsaking me and the children. Dr Omokpo is a true spiritualist savior . He brought my husband back”
    if you have any worries or you have any problem in your marriages or relationships you can reach him on: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK.
    This is my testimony of life that I will tell everyone. I have been married for 25 years Another woman had a spell to get me away from my lover, My husband left me and the children and we suffered for 2 years until I saw post about where this man Dr Omokpo has helped so many people recover their broken marriages and relationships to get their ex lovers back. I decided to send him a message about my broken marriage and family about how my husband left me and for him to help me bring back my loving husband home, This great man told me what to do and I followed him as he instructed. After 48 hours, as he told me, I saw a car enter the compound. I was shocked when I saw my husband. As I share my testimony with you my husband came back to me and the kids and that’s why I’m happy to put all of you to meet this man for solutions to your problem and bring your lover back to you and mend your broken marriage or your relationship restored back to happiness as you wished. Contact this great man via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
    whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
    telegram +1 (984) 733-3673
    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete