- Be nice--no first strikes
- Be provokable--retailiate immediately if your rival cheats
- Be forgiving--don't punish cheating too much
- Be clear--make sure your rival can interpret your moves
- Dont be envious--focus on only your slice of the profit pie
Tit-for-tat is the winning strategy (examples)
The WSJ reports that new Republican House Speaker is doing exactly what the previous Democratic House Speaker did, in order to deter future abuses of power:
Republicans believe that if they don’t play tit-for-tat like this, Democrats will feel empowered to keep escalating. Maybe if Democrats get the same ill treatment, the GOP thinks, Democrats will revert to better form the next time they’re in the majority.Of course, this works only in an evenly divided Congress. If one party gains the majority for a long time, it need not fear retaliation.