Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Economists vs. environmentalists

 Economics and environmentalism are belief systems that shape their adherent's way of thinking about the world.

                                                --Robert H. Nelson (link

When I earned my PhD, I started doing God's work (link to funny essay, "The Market as God") at the Justice Department, challenging anticompetitive mergers and putting price-fixers in prison.  My housemate was trying to do the same at the Environmental Protection Agency, using marginal analysis to design incentives to get polluters to face the consequences of their behavior.  If polluters produce up to the point where

    MR=MC

an output tax equal to the harm they cause, T=P, would bring pollution down to the point where the benefits of producing more are equal to its costs, including the costs of pollution.

    MR=MC+T.

There is legitimate debate about the magnitude of P but the principle seems obvious.  But not to [some/many?] environmentalists at the EPA.  They worship another God, and view all pollution as heresy.

In 2009, this debate made it up to the Supreme Court, where the economists prevailed, 6-3:
...the Supreme Court overturned [Sotomayor's earlier appellate decision that straightforward benefit-cost analysis was illegal] in a 6-3 ruling...

For the time being, benefit-cost analysis is OK.  

4 comments:

  1. It is a privilege to share this miraculous testimony with the world. This is Beth Walters from England. My husband divorced me 4 months ago and I was full of remorse because I didn't know what to do to change my husband's problems. I searched the internet for help on how I could get help in my marriage and discovered wonderful witnesses to the wight love Spell that was progressive with its spells. I contacted him and Dr. Wight told me that he would prepare a spell for me to bring my husband back. I was skeptical, but I had no choice but to work with him. 2 days later, my husband called me to come home from that day and until now, I have lived peacefully. He returned now with so much love and care. today I am glad to announce to you all that this spell player has the power to bring back lovers and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now, every day is happiness and joy. and There is nothing like being with the man you love. I will recommend Dr.Wight to anyone who needs help. If you have any problems, contact Dr.Wight, I guarantee 100% that he will help you !!.
    Email: wightmagicmaster@gmail.com

    WhatsApp:+17168691327

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cryptocurrency is an online Trading network where by an individual invest a certain amount of purchased coin's and earn a formidable return by just sitting in front of your MOBILE / PC. Here is a chance to learn on how to mine your Bitcoin To earn up to €13,000 even with a capital of €1000
    NOTE; THIS ISN'T JUST BITCOINS OR IT SCAMS❌.
    ITS CRYPTOCURRENCY ONLY💹☑️☑️
    DM THE ADMINISTRATOR@
    Email: (bitcointrade965@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
    whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
    telegram +1 (984) 733-3673
    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
    For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete