- While the number of major-label album releases fell, the total number is up.
- This has been accompanied by less concentration of sales in the top albums.
- Internet radio and online criticism have altered how consumers get product information.
- Albums are finding commercial success without traditional radio airplay.
- Albums from independent labels account for a growing share of successes.
These changes are likely to have undermined the profitability of major labels and top radio stations, much to the benefit of musicians.