Monday, April 10, 2023

Why today's students are harder to teach

 The Chronicle of Higher Education has an answer:

... for a confluence of reasons, student attitudes have shifted. For one, what’s considered appropriate for a college professor to say and do in the classroom has changed dramatically, especially around topics of race, gender, and other forms of identity. For another, student deference to their teachers is not nearly as strong as it once was.

Students can be quick to judge a pedagogical choice as harmful, offensive, or superfluous to their education, say some professors, who question if their colleges, which they describe as having adopted a “customer is always right” philosophy, will have their backs if and when the customer is wrong.

In some circumstances, the choices or behavior criticized by students would have been “regarded as benign not very long ago,” said Angus Johnston, a historian of American student-activism who teaches at Hostos Community College of the City University of New York.

While this power shift can be “discombobulating” and “scary” for faculty members, especially older ones, he said, “that does not mean it’s a bad development.”

For example, when I teach the contractual view of marriage to MBA's, it is in a gender-neutral tone. Instead of "I gave him the best years of my life and he traded me in on a younger model," I say: 

If a couple decides to take advantage of economies of specialization, one primarily on a career and one primarily on childcare, the one specializing on childcare can be held up, should the relationship end and they have to re-enter the labor force.  To encourage these kinds of specialized investments in children, the marriage contract is designed to protect victims of hold up.  As the legal penalties for breach of the marriage contract have gotten smaller, we see less of this kind of specialization.  

NOTE:  this is correlation, consistent with evidence supporting the contractual view of marriage, but it could also be that the correlation is spurious, that times have changed, and couples want a more equal division of labor at the same time that the marriage contract has been weakened. 

1 comment:

  1. RECOVER YOUR SCAMMED BITCOIN WITH ULTIMATE HACKER JERRY.

    Hello everyone, I was a victim of bitcoin scam, I saw a glamorous review showering praises and marketing an investment firm, I reached out to them on their terms of investments and invested $155,000 which I was promised to get my first 15% profit in weeks, when it was time to retire my profits, I got to know the company was bogus, they kept asking me to invest more and I ran out of patience then requested to have my money back, they refused to answer nor refund my funds, not until an old family friend introduced me to Ultimate Hacker Jerry, I reached out and after submitting my case, Ultimate Hacker Jerry was swift to action and within 36 hours I got back my funds with the due profit. I couldn’t contain the joy in me. I urge you guys to reach out to Ultimate Hacker Jerry on their support email:  (Ultimatehackerjerry@seznam.cz)   or WhatsAp  +1(520)2 827151  ).
    don"t forget to mention Luke Curry Recommended you.

    ReplyDelete