Thursday, January 6, 2022

Why is St. Louis considering restarting a trolley that no one wants?

Maxim:  Consider all costs and benefits that vary with the consequence of a decision [if you miss some that is the hidden-cost fallacy]; but only costs and benefits that vary with the consequence of a decision [if you consider irrelevant ones that is the sunk-cost fallacy].  

  • 2018: The trolley started operational life —six years behind schedule and about $10 million over budget.  Ticket revenue was 10% of what was originally forecast and nearbt businesses hated it.
  • 2019:  St Lous shut it down, but the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) demanded the return of $37 million the government paid for the project. 
Analysis:  Reviving the streetcar would require additional operating funds, BUT not reviving it would require paying back $37 million.

Lest you commit the hidden-cost fallacy, returning the federal funds would also hurt the St. Louis ability to secure federal grants for future projects, i.e., from the President Biden's $1.2T infrastructure bill.

Prediction: St. Louis will revive the trolley that no one wants.

HT:  Michael

2 comments:

  1. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $800 and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
    For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew dreams could come so true not until after I bumped into this page and saw the recommendation by the group admin and also some community reviews also testifying they are 100 % legit , I had to give them a trial on blind fate hoping whatever came out of this I'll just accept it . But to my greatest surprise , he helped me increase my credit score from 543 to 800 . The expunged hard inquiries reflect on TU,EQ,EX . Thanks to ( NEW HORIZON CREDIT 1 At GMAIL DOT COM )

    ReplyDelete