Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Double Marginalization Distortions

Double Marginalization occurs when two firms within a supply chain "compete" for the value the chain creates. The upstream firm's margin becomes part of the marginal cost incurred downstream which then gets magnified by the downstream firm setting its margin. Prices are too high, output is too low, and further investment is less profitable. If the firms were to integrate, they would "marginalize" only once, leading to increases in consumer surplus and profits to all parties.

An analogous effect occurs  when a turnover tax becomes a value added tax (VAT). A turnover tax, or sales tax, is a margin on all firms within a supply chain while a VAT represents a single margin. Firms in a supply chain tend to merge simply to avoid multiple turnover taxes. In "How Distortive are Turnover Taxes? Evidence from Replacing Turnover Tax with VAT," Xing, Bilicka and Hou investigate what happened in China when taxation transitioned from a turnover tax to a VAT. Without the motive to avoid double marginalization, firms can now outsource more if outsourcing is more efficient. As predicted:

The reform increased sales, R&D investment, and employment for affected service firms, which is primarily driven by outsourcing from downstream manufacturing firms. We document that smaller and less innovative manufacturing firms outsource more, and reallocation increases the quality of innovation for affected service firms.

1 comment:

  1. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $800 and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
    For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete