Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Washer, Dryer and Pedestal Pricing

So my wife and I went out the other night to buy a new washer and dryer. We did a little research beforehand and identified a couple of models priced in the $600 range ($600 per appliance). After driving over to the Home Depot to check them out, we decided on one of the two potential sets of models. And, then my wife said, "What about pedestals?" To which I replied, "Huh?"

Pedestals are basically metal boxes that the washer and dryer sit on top of. As near as I could tell, they serve two purposes. First, they raise the appliances up a little higher (just over a foot) to make access easier, and second, the metal box includes a built-in drawer for extra storage. So, how much do you think a metal box to accompany a $600 washer costs? I'll give you a hint - think of a ridiculous price.

The pedestals to accompany our washer and dryer were priced at $230 each, over 1/3 the cost of the appliance itself. Wow! I would be interested to see the analysis behind that pricing decision.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog!!!

    Great and so more info!!!

    Hopefully, i can share with you ti find out more information about Boot Dryer at www.boot-dryer.co.cc

    Thanks your reading!!!

    ReplyDelete