Thursday, September 23, 2021

Using credit history to price car insurance

In 2007, the FTC's Bureau of Economics just relased their FACTA study, which concludes that:
  1. Credit scores effectively predict ... the total cost of [auto insurance] claims.
  2. Credit scores permit insurers to evaluate risk with greater accuracy, which may make them more willing to offer insurance to higher-risk consumers ... . [note: this is why you can call up GEICO, let them look at your credit report, and get an auto insurance quote over the phone].
  3. ..as a group, African-Americans and Hispanics tend to have lower scores than non-Hispanic whites and Asians.
  4. ...scores effectively predict risk of claims within racial and ethnic groups.
  5. The Commission could not develop an alternative scoring model that would continue to predict risk effectively, yet decrease the differences in scores among racial and ethnic groups.
So even though credit scores help insurance companies price insurance more accurately, point 3 implies that some groups pay more, on average, than others. The policy issue behind the study is whether the government ought to ban the use of credit history for anything but making loans. As point 4 implies, banning the use of credit scores would result in higher prices for good drivers, regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Theory tells us that in states which ban the use of credit scores to price insurance (California and Massassachusetts) insurance companies would find it more costly to distinguish high from low risks, so they may lump them together (called "pooling"), and price insurance at the average risk. Or they may be concerned that only high risks would be willing to buy high-priced insurance (what economists call "adverse selection") and price high or, if price controls prevent high prices, exit the market.

I would be curious if any of our readers know of novel uses of credit scores as a screening mechanism, or if they have developed better predictors (point 5) in a particular application, like pricing insurance or screening job applicants.

15 comments:

  1. Per published information, the U.S. Government uses consumer credit scores when evaluating security clearance applications.

    Makes sense if you view CCS as a measure of an individual's propensity to handle the assets/resources of others in a responsible manner. Additionally, if an applicant maintains substantial consumer debt they may be more susceptible to simple bribery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice idea.... well... I have got my car insured through Esurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the providing good information - this is really helpful for car insurance.I found another good one that helped me find an incredible rate http://www.carinsuranceassistant.com/index.php?id=New+Car

    they give you the best rates from lots of local providers

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Thanks for the providing good information.I will also suggest to consider buying an auto insurance for your car as it has become inevitable to buy auto insurance these days. I found a good place that helped me find an incredible rate http://www.carinsuranceassistant.com/index.php?id=New+Car

    they give you the best rates from lots of local providers"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you are interested in this site.

    car insurance

    I wish you´ll like it and it´ll be useful for you. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the providing good information - this is really helpful for car accident insurance.I found another good one that helped me find an incredible rate they give you the best rates from lots of local providers Car Accident Insurance

    t

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the providing good information - this is really helpful for car accident insurance.I found another good one that helped me find an incredible rate they give you the best rates from lots of local providers
    Car Accident Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good info. I also like this site:
    http://www.bestautoinsurance.org/Auto-Insurance.html

    It saved me money for me when I shop insurance. Knowledge is power!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Price of credit insurance

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score,hacking into phones,binary recovery,wiping criminal records,increase school score, stolen files in your office or school,blank atm etc. Just name it and you will live a better life
    whatsapp +1 (984) 733-3673
    telegram +1 (984) 733-3673
    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  11. HELLO GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  12. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN AMOUNT FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello everyone, My name is Mrs. Carolin Glowski, I'm from Europe, am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum, i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen} the C.E.O of BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen} who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen on his email address drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  13. URGENT LOAN IS AVAILABLE NOW

    TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT $760K FROM A RELIABLE,TRUSTED AND REGISTERED PRIVATE LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK,BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? ARE NOW AFFORDABLE HERE FOR YOU TODAY CONTACT Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for discussed this amazing article, because it has lots of good information that is very helpful for everyone. So, keep sharing. Also check out my fire insurance related blog where I discussed premium, claim settlement process, benefits, necessity etc.

    ReplyDelete