Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Airbnb Constrains Hotel Market Power

Schaefer and Tran have a new paper that estimates price competition between Airbnb offerings and hotels in Paris, France in 2017 using granular data on tens of thousands of rooms. They find that, while these offerings are differentiated, the do put downward pressure on each others' pricing power. 

Using the estimated models, we assess how Airbnb affects hotel profits and consumer welfare and how much Airbnb hosts value the platform. Our simulations imply that Airbnb increases average consumer surplus and decreases hotel profits substantially. 

Specifically, consumer surplus from Airbnb in Paris increases by 32 euro per night per room for a total of 4.3 million euro (about 0.3% of all hotel revenue). Moreover, about a quarter of this is due to lower hotel prices.

Digital platforms have obliterated some traditional marketing channels, e.g., video rental and music stores, but usually some of the traditional channels survive albeit in diminished form, e.g., book stores and taxis. It appears that even if short term rentals do not replace hotels, they still provide some discipline to the market.

1 comment:

  1. How I got my lost funds recovered in binary options investment, through the help of Bruce David I have been in a deep shit all this while I almost lost all I have been investing from day one, I tried all I could to remain unbeatable I never gave up, sometime ago I was referred by a friend to one Mr David for assistance with his master class intelligence and strategy I'm able to make $10,000 weekly and also recovered all my lost funds. I'm so happy.
    If you need his help you can contact him through his email brucedavid004@gmail.com or WhatsApp him: +447984406398

    ReplyDelete