Thursday, June 15, 2023

What happens if we cannot measure ESG?

 Barrons:  Tesla (electric cars, batteries) was just added to the S&P ESG Index, albeit with a lower ESG score than Phillip Morris, a US Tobacco manufacturer. From Free Beacon:

ESG ratings are supposed to guide investors, and their money, toward ethical enterprises. But Big Tobacco has lapped Tesla in the ESG ratings race more than once: Sustainalytics, a widely used ESG ratings tool, gives Tesla a worse score than Altria, one of the largest tobacco producers in the world. And the London Stock Exchange gives British American Tobacco an ESG score of 94—the third highest of any company on the exchange's top share index—while Tesla earns a middling 65.

Here's why:

How could cigarettes, which kill over eight million people each year, be deemed a more ethical investment than electric cars? It may have something to do with the tobacco industry's embrace of corporate progressivism.
Companies like Altria have gone out of their way to emphasize the diversity of their corporate boards and the breadth of their social justice initiatives, from funding minority businesses to promoting transgender women in sports. But Tesla, whose executives are overwhelmingly white men, has resisted that bandwagon, going so far as to fire its top LGBT diversity officer last year.

If we cannot measure ESG, we cannot align the incentives of those companies that follow ESG with the investors who want to invest in them.  

2 comments:

  1. YOU JUST GOT SCAMMED, WHAT’S NEXT TO DO⁉️

    The internet today is full with scam ads, most websites, blogs and comment sections are full with fake ads, links and emails with so much false testimonies to lure people to their scam activities, if you are a victim of these, this is what you need to do next.

    First you will need to contact PYTHONAX✅

    Who are we?! PYTHONAX is a group of skilled individuals who are dedicated to tracking down scammers and recovering money they have falsely taking from people, we use our computer skills to get to this scammers using informations provided to us by scam victims and get you your money back. Of course they wouldn’t just hand us back your money, we are actually hacking through the devices to target their accounts and refunding you your money.

    You need not worry how we do it, and be rest assured that none of this will or can be traced back you, our main job is to stay clear of the authorities just like the scammers do. You are just a step away from getting your money back if you are seeing this post.

    Contacts-:
    HELP@PYTHONAX.TECH
    HACKSERVICES@PYTHONAX.TECH

    We look forward to helping you.
    Pythonax.
    2023 ©️ all rights reserved.












    ReplyDelete
  2. RECOVER YOUR SCAMMED BITCOIN WITH ULTIMATE HACKER JERRY.

    Hello everyone, I was a victim of bitcoin scam, I saw a glamorous review showering praises and marketing an investment firm, I reached out to them on their terms of investments and invested $155,000 which I was promised to get my first 15% profit in weeks, when it was time to retire my profits, I got to know the company was bogus, they kept asking me to invest more and I ran out of patience then requested to have my money back, they refused to answer nor refund my funds, not until an old family friend introduced me to Ultimate Hacker Jerry, I reached out and after submitting my case, Ultimate Hacker Jerry was swift to action and within 36 hours I got back my funds with the due profit. I couldn’t contain the joy in me. I urge you guys to reach out to Ultimate Hacker Jerry on their support email:  (Ultimatehackerjerry@seznam.cz)   or WhatsAp  +1(520)2 827151  ).
    don"t forget to mention Luke Curry Recommended you.

    ReplyDelete