Thursday, May 21, 2009

Libertarian manifesto

From Penn Gillette:

It’s amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. ...

I’m a Libertarian nut because I don’t want my government to do anything in my name that I wouldn’t do myself.


UPDATE:
Rep. Alan Grayson was standing in the middle of Disney World when it hit him: What Americans really need is a week of paid vacation.

So on Thursday, the Florida Democrat will introduce the Paid Vacation Act — legislation that would be the first to make paid vacation time a requirement under federal law.

1 comment:

  1. Intellectually its a sound argument, but Penn miss the free-rider problem. The question is really more about where to draw the line. Forcing me to pay for fire protections sounds ok, but forcing me to pay for a new football stadium seems stupid.

    He also implicitly assumes that assets are fairly distributed, which we know is not the case (just ask a kid born in Nigeria). Is it really "immoral self-righteous bullying laziness" for a man to steal a loaf of bread from Paris Hilton to feed a starving child?

    ReplyDelete