Thursday, October 4, 2007

Is everything for sale?

In previous posts we have talked about the "cost" of marriage, what a man and a woman give up to be in one. And now we have this conversation on Craig's List between a woman and a potential mate.
Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west.
My colleagues in the divinity school would criticize what they call the "commodification of relationship," but when you try to sell yourself, it seems only fair that you get treated like a potential investment.
...what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful! ...

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

I wonder if the woman would profit from reading our earlier post on strategy from Whole Foods' CEO, John Mackay:

...we have not achieved our tremendous increase in shareholder value by making shareholder value the primary purpose of our business. ... In the customer-centered business, customer happiness is an end in itself, and will be pursued with greater interest, passion, and empathy than the profit-centered business is capable of.
The man also is wary of adverse selection the problem caused when, in this case, the seller has more information the buyer.
...I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you...

No comments:

Post a Comment