Thursday, May 9, 2024

Is globalization over?

The Economist on what we might lose:
It is fashionable to criticise untrammelled globalisation as the cause of inequality, the global financial crisis and neglect of the climate. But the achievements of the 1990s and 2000s—the high point of liberal capitalism—are unmatched in history. Hundreds of millions escaped poverty in China as it integrated into the global economy. The infant-mortality rate worldwide is less than half what it was in 1990. The percentage of the global population killed by state-based conflicts hit a post-war low of 0.0002% in 2005; in 1972 it was nearly 40 times as high. The latest research shows that the era of the “Washington consensus”, which today’s leaders hope to replace, was one in which poor countries began to enjoy catch-up growth, closing the gap with the rich world.
But the political consensus behind globalization is breaking.
As we report, the disintegration of the old order is visible everywhere. Sanctions are used four times as much as they were during the 1990s; America has recently imposed “secondary” penalties on entities that support Russia’s armies. A subsidy war is under way, as countries seek to copy China’s and America’s vast state backing for green manufacturing. Although the dollar remains dominant and emerging economies are more resilient, global capital flows are starting to fragment, as our special report explains.

1 comment:

  1. ℛ➡︎➜ℛ
    TAKE A MINUTE OF YOUR TIME TO READ THIS. This is my story, and how one person changed my life for good.
    I lost my job and there was no hope for me. I suffered looking for a job and luckily I came across Mr Bernie Doran on a review about Forex, NFT, Binary, and Crypto trade. I borrowed
    $2000 from a colleague to invest with Mr Bernie platform , thank goodness I made a profit of $22,000 on the first week, reinvested 5000, and withdrew the remaining balance directly to my bank account. I. was able to pay my friend, and convinced him to invest as well. I'm very grateful to him for helping me
    manage my trading account. I will advise all of you who want to invest for the future and a better tomorrow should start with Mr Bernie Doran
    Contact him on WhatsApp:+1 (424) 285-0682 or his Gmail: Berniedoransignals@gmail.com
    ℛ➡︎➜ℛ



    🇺🇸☑️🇺🇸☑️
    💹☑️💹☑️💹

    ReplyDelete