Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Taleb Essay on the Limits of Statistics

Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of the recent book (which I would highly recommend) The Black Swan, discusses how one of the drivers of the current financial crisis is a serious misapplication of statistics and applied probabilistic knowledge: "Let's face it: use of probabilistic methods for the estimation of risks did just blow up the banking system."

Taleb has an interesting view of economists:
I have nothing against economists: you should let them entertain each others with their theories and elegant mathematics, and help keep college students inside buildings. But beware: they can be plain wrong, yet frame things in a way to make you feel stupid arguing with them. So make sure you do not give any of them risk-management responsibilities.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Thank you a lot for all this information, I'm a student and it's very useful for me. Nevertheless, I often have issues with such works and only affordable-papers.net help me with it. Thanks to them, my professors love me and think that I'm very smart.

    ReplyDelete